Looking to have a Car Seat Checked?
There are a few things you should know before you meet with a CPS technician. This isn’t like getting an oil change on your car, where you leave the car and go do something else. Working with a CPS technician will be a one-on-one learning experience. When you leave, you should feel confident about the installation and feel comfortable re-installing it on your own. Our seat check listings are Agency-Hosted Events or "By Appointment-Only" options. (No drop-in service.) Scroll down for listings.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
Check-up events are hosted on a first-come, first-served basis and are primarily staffed with community volunteers. Each car seat check takes about 30 minutes - multiple seats require additional time. Expect a wait when cars are lined up. Metro-area events are well attended and may fill up to capacity prior to posted end time. All check-up events are tentative due to weather.
Click here to read more about what to expect during a car seat check.
Espere un evento de chequeo o visite a un Técnico de Seguridad de Niños como Pasajeros (CPS en inglés) para asegurarse de que los niños viajan completamente seguros.
A note about the Calendar and Resources on this page: All programs and events are coordinated by individual agencies. Please contact the hosting agency if you need additional information. Be sure to check for updates and cancellations prior to attending any event.
By appointment only the following agencies are avaliable to show you how to correctly install and use your car seat.
- Albany Fire Department 541-917-7700
- Astoria Lewis and Clark Fire Department 503-325-4192
- Baker City Police Department 541-524-2014
- Brookings Police Department 541-469-3118
- Burns City Hall 541-285-6004
- Clackamas American Medical Response 503-736-3460
- Coos Bay Fire Department 541-269-1191
- Corvallis Fire Department 541-766-6961
- Gladstone Oregon Impact 503-899-2220
- Grants Pass Fire Department 541-450-6200
- Hermiston Umatilla Morrow Head Start 541-564-6878
- John Day Families First 541-575-1006
- Klamath Falls Tribal Heath and Family Services 541-882-1487
- Lebanon Fire District 541-451-1901
- Newberg-Dundee Police Department 503-554-8825
- Pendleton Umatilla Morrow Head Start 541-966-3354
- Portland American Medical Response 503-736-3460
- Portland Doernbecher Children’s Hospital 503-494-3735
- Portland Randall Children’s Hospital at Legacy Emanuel 503-413-4005
- Prineville Crook County Fire and Rescue 541-447-5011
- Roseburg Oregon State Police 541-440-3334
- Seaside Police Department 503-738-6311
- Silverton Fire Department 503-873-5328
- Sisters Camp Sherman Fire Department 541-549-0771
- The Dalles Safe Kids of Columbia Gorge 541-980-1019
- Warrenton Medix Ambulance 503-861-1990
Until you have a chance to attend a check-up event/clinic or appointment, watch instructional videos online, and read through your car seat instructions to install the seat to the best of your ability until you can meet with a CPS Technician. You will need to consult your vehicle owner's manual as well. Contact the car seat manufacturer and/or vehicle manufacturer if further technical clarification is needed. Follow this link to view general videos on installation for each type of child safety seat. Be sure to also check your car seat manufacturer's website to see if there is an installation video for your specific seat. Then, plan to attend a check-up event or seat check appointment to be sure the seat is properly installed.